L&D professionals around the world are embracing 70:20:10 to help expand the range of services they offer and connect directly with their organisations’ core business objectives. 70:20:10 provides a concrete opportunity to make these services relevant and up-to-date by ensuring they enable learning and performing at the speed of business. In a changing world 70:20:10 is creating a new future for L&D and helping ensure the profession stays ahead of the game.
The 70:20:10 Expert Programme is part of the 70:20:10 roadmap. The Programme is most effective when it is embedded in L&D professionals’ regular work processes. 70:20:10 implies a different way of working and thus a different set of processes. With 70:20:10, L&D professionals need to work more collaboratively with their internal clients to co-create solutions that have measurable impact.
The result that the (internal) customer needs to achieve is always paramount. These are results in the areas of production, quality, safety, financing and/or HR. The 70:20:10 methodology helps achieve these results.
The 70:20:10 method
The 70:20:10 methodology comprises five new roles and 31 critical tasks for L&D professionals. For each role, critical tasks have been designed that are derived from the required results, see figure 1. The five roles are dynamically connected to each other and do not have to be executed sequentially.
Participants in the 70:20:10 Expert Programme apply the five roles and the 31 tasks in their own daily workflow and practice, working with real internal customer requests. This is carried out in a structured way, but is always built around the context of the customer.
Examples of results that can be achieved using the 70:20:10 methodology.
• Sales growth
• Error reduction
• Productivity increase
• Improved customer satisfaction
• Lower rates of non-compliance incidents
• Reduced absenteeism
• Lower employee attrition rates
• Faster onboarding and reduced time to performance
The performance journey
The 70:20:10 Expert Programme is not a traditional training or development approach. Participants identify and work on a real internal customer or stakeholder demand in their own organisation.
The customer/stakeholder demand that is selected should have a certain urgency. For example, he they need to solve a problem, change or apply a new process in order to improve organisational performance.
Usually the customer approaches the L&D team with a learning question, and may have already decided about the solution. The Expert Programme participant starts with this question.
Within the Expert Programme, we call this a project because there is usually a starting point and an end point (achieving the desired result) which must be achieved within a defined period. The project is central throughout the programme. 70: 20:10 Institute experts support participants throughout the project. The participant, in effect, follows a performance journey. In contrast to a learning journey, in a performance journey focus is on the result and the participant learns by applying the methodology in practice.
The elements of the Programme
- The project
Prior to the programme, we will discuss with the main client (usually the L&D leader) which projects are best suited for the application of the 70:20:10 methodology.
The 70:20:10 Expert Programme starts with a kick-off session, either online or on location in your organisation.
- Online performance support and the app
The five roles break down into 31 tasks that participants carry out as part of their project. There is performance support for all tasks, plus online checklists with expert tips. This performance support is available via a browser and an app.
- The book
The book ‘70:20:10 towards 100% performance’ (Arets, Jennings, Heijnen, 2015) forms the body of knowledge for the 70:20:10 methodology. Each participant receives a copy of the book prior to the start of the programme.
- The work accelerators
Throughout the entire process, there are a number of ‘work accelerator sessions. The principal work accelerators are two 2½ day face-to-face workshops that focus on the five roles and details of the task flows within them. During these accelerators our 70:20:10 experts provide guidance to help with the execution of the projects and, where necessary, give more background information on available options, such as ways to conduct difficult conversations with a client in a safe environment.
- Presentation of results (half-day)
In some cases, with in-company programmes, we plan a half-day at the end of the nine months where everyone presents the results of their project. Where possible, we invite internal clients to these sessions.
- Online community
We provide a 70:20:10 online community platform as part of the programme. In the community participants share the progress of their projects in both structured formats and in notes of conversations. Other participants and the 70:20:10 Institute experts provide feedback and help throughout the programme.
- Structured online advice from experts
Online advice is structured for each project. This is in the form of ‘check-ins’. These check-ins last for 15-30 minutes. Issues such as bottlenecks in the projects are addressed and possible solutions suggested. Support via email and video conversations are available in addition to the online community.
The 70:20:10-Expert program is a performance journey. This means that there is no detailed programme, for example, for specific online check-ins and work accelerators. These are agreed in the planning phase. However, we generally adhere to the following plan:
During the kick-off, we explain the working methods for the programme and agree mutual expectations.
The Performance Detective
Shared understanding of 70:20:10 and the methodology.
– Start of the project.
– The Performance Detective: critical tasks and difficult situations.
– Making an analysis plan.
– The Performance Game Changer: gaining commitment of the internal customer and conducting interviews.
The Performance Architect
– Complete the Performance Detective work and presentation of the results.
– Performance Architect: create a design of the ‘100’.
– The Performance Game Changer: designing the ‘100’ with the customer.
Working on the project in practice, using online and telephone support from the 70:20:10 Institute experts for elaboration of the 70:20:10 design.
The Performance Master Builder
– The Performance Master Builder: solutions development in the ’70’ and the ’20’.
– Creating an activity plan and an implementation plan.
– The Performance Game Changer: co-creation with users in the workplace and obtaining commitment from the client.
The Performance Game Changer & The Performance Tracker
– The Performance Tracker: making a measurement plan and collecting measurement data, reporting the results.
– The Performance Game Changer: communicating to the organisation.
Working on the project in practice, using online and telephone support from the 70:20:10 Institute experts for co-creation of the set of 70:20:10 solutions.
Presenting the results to colleagues and customers/stakeholders during the last session.
Benefits for your L&D team/ your organisation
- The 70:20:10 Expert Programme a key activity that contributes to the development of a high performing L&D department. It helps L&D become a real value creator for the organisation.
- The 70:20:10 Expert Programme will deliver measurable business impact because services built on 70:20:10 principles contribute to an increase in productivity and quality/safety of work.
- The 70:20:10 Expert Programme will ensure L&D department services are future-proofed.
- The 70:20:10 Expert Programme will provide tangible return on investment because it will deliver a positive business case compared with traditional training.
- The 70:20:10 Expert Programme is designed to deliver results with less time lost and lower costs compared to traditional formal learning solutions.
Benefits for participants
- Working methodically using the five processes and 31 critical tasks.
- Shared language within the L&D team and with the other parts of the organisation.
- More co-operation and connection with the business because the services delivered in the 70 and the 20 fit more closely with the needs of the workplace and are closely linked to workplace practices.
- Increased skills for L&D professionals and others through the application of the 70:20:10 methodology.
- Additional benefits through development of new skills: consultancy skills, change management skills and project management skills.
Minimum number of participants per cohort: 13
Cost per participant: EURO 3,900
Total Cost for one 9-month programme: EURO 50,700*
* One cohort can contain up to 20 participants. The price is held at EURO 50,700 but this reduces the per participant rate.
Where 15 or more participants are enrolled, the Institute’s Organisational Partnership membership is included for two years.
- Organisations that want to adopt the 70:20:10 framework in a structured way
- L&D-professionals who want to make the transition to 70:20:10 experts.
- L&D managers who are responsible for the learning function in their organisations.
- People involved in performance strategy implementation in organisations.
- HR people involved in delivering improved people performance in organisations.
For the time being, we offer this program only in-company. We recommend that 2-3 people from the L&D team work together on a project because this is the most effective for both the participant and the internal client.
- The 70:20:10 Institute provides a certificate to participants who:
- can demonstrate they have applied the five roles and 31 tasks in their own project
- have delivered positive results in their project (and the client has confirmed this in writing)
- have recorded the application of the 31 tasks and the achievement of the result in a fixed reporting format.